Note: For developers who want to go beyond, the WikiFundi software, readme notes, bugs etc. are hosted on Github.
To set up your own WikiFundi, you will need
- Make sure you have an SD card of the right size. Remember that the software is meant to host edits and images. So remember to pick a card big enough to not only host the software but also the content you will add.
- An SD card reader
- A rather good internet connection…
- A server to create the hotspot, typically a Raspberry PI 3 or Rasberry PI 4
Download WikiFundi from an online repository
- Go to the community page for the tool : Links to download the software (page available in French and English)
- You can download WikiFundi and some curated educational ressources (about 25 GB)
- If you want more specific versions, packed with many offline ressources (such as Wikipedia in English, Wiktionary in German, Wikibooks in Arabic, a selection of TEDx videos inSpanish, please get in touch with us).
Formatting the micro-SD card
- You will need a SD card reader. Insert the new SD card (or an old one that you want to completely wipe out…).
- To format the card (it does not take too long), use an appropriate software. We recommand BelenaEtcher.
Flashing the card (meaning: transferring the content you downloaded on the card)
- Download and install BelenaEtcher
- Then, select the image on step 1, select the card on step 2, then flash.
- This process can take a while depending on your system and the kind of reader you have. First, there is the flashing, then verification.
Getting WikiFundi up and running
- Insert the SD card in the Raspberry Pi (see the next paragraph “How to set up the hardware)
- Make sure that a network shows up. Note: V1 network was “WIKIFUNDI”. V2 network is “WikiFundi”. If your computer remembers networks, make sure to pick up the right one.
- Normally, when the card is in and software launched, when you open a window, the app should automatically show.
- IF IT DOES NOT SHOW AUTOMATICALLY, open a browser and type wikifundi in the url. OR Wikifundi.hotspot (<— this is actually its address. In case of trouble with users, do communicate that address.)
- Enjoy creating content and reading materials using WikiFundi!!
How to set up the hardware:
How to set up WikiFundi hardware in English
How to set up WikiFundi hardware in French
How to set up WikiFundi hardware in Arabic
How to set up WikiFundi hardware in Arabic, in more detail